Apple App Store ASO Checklist
When optimizing your app on the Apple App Store, you can base your ASO work following this checklist.
- Create a descriptive and consistent sentence reflecting your app’s purpose.
- Should be memorable and complementary to your app icon.
- Include your strongest keywords (and place them at the very beginning if possible).
- Localize your app title for each targeted language.
- Characters limit: 30.
- Should be used as complement of the app name
- Include strong keywords
- Don’t repeat keywords used in the app name
- Characters limit: 30
Potential weight on the algorithm.
as your app’s web page is indexed on Search Engines
- Use all available characters
- Repeat targeted keywords (+/- 15) 4-5 times each
- Use various keyphrases combinations using the targeted keywords
- Avoid keyword stuffing!
- Must be easy to read, convincing, engaging
- Focus on the first 255 characters (3 lines) to showcase your best features and include a CTA
- Use bullet points to list your features
- Include mentions, awards or nice reviews
- Localize your copy for each targeted language
- Characters limit: 4000
Reviews & ratings
Heavy weight on the algorithm.
- Try to get as many reviews & ratings as possible
- Make sure to keep a high average rating
- Reply to negative reviews
- Use a 2-step pop up notification process to ask your users if they like your app or not. If they do, ask them to rate your app; if they don’t, ask their feedback
- Ask your surroundings, family, friends and anyone you can to rate your app on its launch
- You can choose to reset your summary rating when you release a new version of your app, but should be done with caution since an app with few ratings will look less trustworthy
- Your app’s first impression
- Use a single focus point to capture attention
- Use High-res and optimize size for each device
- Make it descriptive, unique, simple
- Avoid transparency
- Avoid text, use a border
- Test it against different wallpapers
- Combined with your app name, your app icon should reflect your app’s purpose
- iPhone: 180px × 180px (60pt × 60pt @3x); 120px × 120px (60pt × 60pt @2x)
- iPad Pro: 167px × 167px (83.5pt × 83.5pt @2x)
- iPad, iPad mini: 152px × 152px (76pt × 76pt @2x)
- App Store: 1024px × 1024px (1024pt × 1024pt @1x)
- Engage your app users and showcase news about your app
- Should reflect your app’s new features, promotions or anything you’d like to highlight
- Keywords from the promotional text are not indexed by the algorithm but we do recommend to use relevant and strong keywords for SEO purposes.
- Characters limit: 170
- Very important in terms of conversion
- Use all 10 available screenshots slots
- Focus on your first 2 screenshots as they are displayed in the search results (unless you have app preview video(s), in this case, your screenshots will be displayed after
- Make your screenshots high-res and well-designed
- Show off 1 feature per screenshot - you can also combine both your 1st and 2d screenshot making it into one
- Use a small sentence on the top of each screenshot to increase comprehension and conversion
- Localize your screenshots for each language
- A/B test your screenshots
- Optimize your screenshots for each screen size
- iPhone 4 | 4s: 640 x 960px
- iPhone 5 | 5s | 5c | 5SE: 640 x 1136px
- iPhone 6 | 6s | 7 | 8 : 750 x 1334px
- iPhone 6 Plus | 6s Plus | 7 Plus | 8 Plus: 1242 x 2208px
- iPad 2 | Mini 1: 768 x 1024px
- iPad 3 | 4 | Air | Air 2 | Mini 2 | Mini 3: 1536 x 2048px
- AppTweak can effectively help you track the ASO strategy and Search Ads strategy of your competitors!
Updates & releases
- Try updating your app’s ASO monthly
- Monitor your keywords and assets performance to optimize your app’s visibility and conversion
- Track your competitor's ASO to build your own strategy
Track app store trends to stay updated to the latest algorithm changes (check our
for the latest news and hacks).